At 56 I am feeling the best I can ever remember feeling in the whole of my life, and, each day continues to be greater than the one before. Impossible you may say! And if we take common parlance in daily life - it does buck the trend. There are many things I hear people say about ageing such as:
"It's all a downward spiral from here on"
"It's because we are getting older", or . . . . .
“It’s the inevitability of growing old”
“I can’t wait until I am retired, it will all be better then”
“I only have 150 more pay packets until I am retired, then I’ll have all the time in the world”.
And yet I have no plans to retire whatsoever, and, I actually don’t feel a downward spiral even in my health – more so I feel an upward spiral. As for wealth it has never felt more full. Let me explain.
The definition of wealth is often related to monetary or material possessions, and yet at this stage in my life I own or have fewer material possessions than I have ever had, and I love how spacious this feels. I don’t need clutter, or extraneous belongings in my home or in my life – I feel more wealth from the spaciousness than from the clutter.
Wealth is so much more than this though. Wealth for me is:
- Knowing myself more than I ever have, deepening my relationship with myself.
- Supporting my physical body in every way – everything from hydration to posture, to exercise, to rest, sleep, nourishment, and taking care in the finer daily living details in my life. I also feel fitter and more healthy than I ever have – as this way of truly caring for my body is working.
- Valuing my health and not taking it for granted.
- Having the most amazing friends who are open, honest, transparent, and truly caring – and being really honest about when I need support.
- Celebrating and appreciating myself as a woman (something I did not do in my younger years),
- Truly learning to honour my body as a woman – and loving the grace and wisdom I feel in this post menopausal cycle of life.
- Feeling spunky and sassy – exploring colours of make up and clothes, shoes and jewellery in a way that confirms who I am.
- Loving working – both voluntarily in my local community, and in my paid work – also enjoying writing, and exploring new avenues of work as they come up.
- Seeing a ladybird, the roses in bloom, butterflies, and the trees as they turn in the seasons.
- Knowing there is more to life than meets the human eye – enjoying observing the moon cycles, the stars, seeing the planets twinkle on a clear night, and enjoying early to bed and early to rise, seeing sunrises and sunsets and feeling there is flow and rhythm to life greater than we often care to feel.
- Talking with others – in the local shops, on the bus, at work, at home and in all parts of life as I simply love people – and that everyday is an opportunity to meet more people and connect with others.
- Feeling the warmth of my heart as I go about my life – for example when I am walking, connecting with people, or practising some esoteric yoga.
And whilst I do have some money in the bank – and a super amazing roof over my head, the wealth above beats all the wealth I ever had in my younger years when I was primarily focusing on high earnings and a lifestyle that went with high earnings, equally so, I feel vital and healthy in a way I did not expect to at this stage in my life.
So you see, as I go into my 57th year, I feel full of riches, of wealth, and of health, and, I realise that my age does not determine how I live or feel – it is just a simple fact.
Jane K., UK